Hello there!

I have moved!
My new blog is www.midnightcaramel.com


Happy reading, and thank you for your visit!
Charlotte.

Thursday, 10 May 2012

Heart-Shaped Bruise (by Tanya Byrne)


Heart-Shaped Bruise
by Tanya Byrne
Release date : May 10th, 2012
They say I'm evil. The police. The newspapers.
The girls from school who shake their heads on the six o’clock news and say they always knew there was something not quite right about me.
And everyone believes it. Including you.
But you don't know. You don't know who I used to be.Who I could have been.
Awaiting trial at Archway Young Offenders Institution, Emily Koll is going to tell her side of the story for the first time.  (from Goodreads)
MY THOUGHTS : Unfortunately I didn't find this book very captivating nor thrilling. I thought the fact that we're reading a "journal" was not respected the whole time : as I turned the pages, the story became more and more omniscient, and at some point I didn't think the way it was written looked like how a person would write in a journal. Dialogues, for example, were too perfectly retranscripted.

I clung to the book until the end to understand what Emily had done to end up in this mess, but the suspense is so emphasized by Emily herself that I started to get annoyed, and the punch line became uninteresting instead of exciting.

I liked the overall tone though. Emily's voice is catchy (even if a tad icy) and I enjoyed reading her.  I thought it was interesting to witness her evolution and to discover her past. There were also some beautiful images and some graceful moments in the action, and in the writing too.

But that wasn't enough to keep me interested. I would've prefered to discover Emily's story at the same time as it happened, with a more classic construction instead of a journal and flashbacks. I think it might've been more stirring, at least for me!

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Do share your thoughts, it's always a pleasure reading them!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...