Hello there!

I have moved!
My new blog is www.midnightcaramel.com


Happy reading, and thank you for your visit!
Charlotte.

Sunday, 29 August 2010

Book Blogging Around The World (30) : Jakarta, Indonesia


Name : Novia Rozet
Blog : Novroz' Favorite Things 
City / Country : Jakarta, Indonesia

Welcome Novia!

Tell us a little bit about you.
I’m 32 years old and I still live with my parents, because here in my country it’s a common thing to live with our parents till we get married. When it comes to favourite things, I am a loyal person, I like the same things for years. I am a teacher and I don’t want to be anything else but a teacher. I love my pets very much, I even made a special blog for them, and my deviantart is full of their pictures. I am currently working in 2 places, as a Chemistry teacher for high school and as science experiment teacher for elementary.


Tell us a little bit about your blog.
My blog is about everything that I like (or hate – quite rarely). I write book reviews, movie reviews, music, my favourite bands (L’Arc~en~Ciel and Muse), my pets (kame and Kroten) and how to raise turtles, my job and many things. It’s a combination of 3 languages. I used to write the most in Bahasa and few in English but, since 2 years ago, I’ve been writing more and more in English.

Have you ever lived anywhere else in the world?
Is anywhere else meaning other countries? If it is, then the answer is not yet. If it is in another city, then the answer is yes, I’ve lived for 3,5 years in Bogor (a city next to Jakarta) to study.

What countries have you visited?
I have never visited other countries. I do not come from a wealthy family that can spend money to have a trip to another country.

What countries would you like to visit?
If I have a chance, even though it’s a once in a lifetime chance, I’d love to visit Japan, especially during L’Arc~en~Ciel concert tour. I love things Japanese a lot.


According to you, what are the positive and negative aspects of being a book blogger in Indonesia?
Hmmm…this is a very difficult question. Maybe, the positive aspect is the fact that there are still few book bloggers in Indonesia, and the negative aspect is people rarely read book blogs.

What Indonesian authors and books would you recommend?
The only Indonesian author that I like is Andrea Hirata. He just had his books translated into English. If you can find them, please check them out. His famous tetralogy called Rainbow Troops is based on his past, a very inspiring story. He wrote a new book recently, I’ve bought it but haven’t read it yet.


How many languages do you speak?
I can speak Bahasa (Indonesian Language), because it is my native language. I speak English fluently. I speak Japanese, but still not fluent. And I am a passive Padangese and Sundanese (Padangese and Sundanese are one of many traditional languages in Indonesia. We have 1 national language, Bahasa, and lots of traditional languages).

In which language do you read the most?
I prefer to read books in their original languages (not the translated ones). Since I can read English, I read more and more books in English. I try reading Manga (Japanese Comic) in Japanese. Which one is the most? The answer is in English.

Where do you usually buy your books?
Bookstores such as Times, Periplus and Kinokuniya. I also like to visit second-hand bookstores and book fairs to find cheaper books.


Is getting your hands on foreign books tricky or easy (not mentioning online stores)?
It depends! There are a lot of book stores that sell imported books in Jakarta and Bandung (it’s very difficult outside these 2 cities), therefore it is easy to buy foreign books. But, finding the ones that I want are a bit tricky. I love Stephen King books but they don’t sell much of his books, sometimes I ask someone to buy it for me when he/she goes to another country.

Every country has its clichés. What cliché about Indonesia do you consider disproportionate?
Another difficult question. If you ever heard that Indonesia is a clean country, then you heard it wrong! Because people are still throwing garbage everywhere…one of the things that I hate from most of Indonesian people.

I read that Indonesia is home to some of the rarest creatures in the world, including miniature deer or fish that climb trees to catch insects for example. If you could be an animal with unusual powers, what would you be?
I want to be a komodo dragon because you could only find me here in Indonesia :)


Quick Q&A :
Favourite thing about living in Indonesia:
Least favourite thing about living in Indonesia: Undisciplined People
Favourite typically Indonesian food: Padang Sate
Favourite place in Jakarta: I have no favorite place
Favourite bookshop: Times
Favourite Indonesian author: Andrea Hirata
Favourite Indonesian singer/band: The S.I.G.I.T
Favourite kind of book to read while travelling: Mystery books
Plane or train: Plane
Boat or bus: : Bus
Bike or feet: Feet
Islands are thousands in Indonesia.
My blog is the reflection of my hobbies.


Thank you Novia! It was a pleasure having you up on the hill!
Next week we'll be traveling to Australia!
 
If you'd like to be featured, this post is for you.

2 comments:

  1. What a simply gorgeous picture. Awesome interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for letting me join the interview :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Do share your thoughts, it's always a pleasure reading them!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...