Hello there!

I have moved!
My new blog is www.midnightcaramel.com


Happy reading, and thank you for your visit!
Charlotte.

Friday, 11 June 2010

French Friday (28)



Welcome to this week's French Friday!
The three last French Fridays were quite exciting: I was thrilled to have my friend Laure on my blog for a special series of interviews concerning her different jobs in the publishing world (if you missed it, you can read it here, here and here). When I was preparing the questions for her interview about what it's like to be a professional reader, I realized that I had never asked myself these questions. And I thought it might be interesting to answer them and see if we're different or if we feel the same way towards our job as readers. And then of course I thought, well, why not put it in this week's French Friday?
So, basically, this is an auto-interview. Wondering if I'm a megalomaniac or slightly skizophrenic? I assure you that I'm not. I just thought it would be fun. Please bare with me. :)
To those of you who are not aware of what being a reader is: I read English-written books (either already released or still in drafts). I then submit a full summary and a review (in French) that will give my point of view on why or why not they should make an offer to buy the rights and publish the book in France. I have worked for Hachette Jeunesse for almost three years now, and I love it!


Now, to the questions!


What do I like the most as a reader?
I've always loved reading. As a child, teenager and adult, I've always been a bookworm. So, of course, being paid to read is like a fairytale come true. And for me, this job is a life saver: as you all know, I'm an actress. Being an actress does not make one rich, except when famous, which is not the case and which, most of all, is not my goal. I've always lived with just enough money to pay the rent, going from one small job to another in order to make ends meet. But having a job means having fixed hours, and since I work almost full days for my theatre company, this was always a problem. I'm not only an actress, I spend most of my time selling our plays, managing the website and promoting our company. And I'm not paid for all that, I'm just paid when I'm performing. As a reader, not only can I earn a small income, but most of all I get to work whenever I want and wherever I want (which is a big plus when I'm touring for example). So, yes, perfect job! And as I said earlier, I love reading, and honestly I would still be a reader even if I didn't need the money. I also love discovering how the publishing world works. It's fascinating. And having a role in it is fantastic. When I gave a very enthusiastic review of a book and get to see it published by Hachette a few months or years later, it's the most exciting thing ever. I feel useful and happy. Being a reader also broadened my horizon when it comes to genres : I would never have read vampire or zombie books if I wasn't a reader!
What is my biggest difficulty?
Staying organized! I tend to do many things at the same time, and I litteraly have to fix myself a reading schedule. Which, of course, I never stick to. Also, there are periods when I read too much, and when it happens I start judging book too harshly. It's hard to stay objective when you read almost the same books one after the other (may it be vampires or too predictable chick-lit books). Sometimes I need to slown down my reading rythm in order to stay fresh in my appreciation of books, as Laure said. There are times when I need to take a step back and think about what the future readers would think, and not what I think. It's all about honesty but also technical elements, so I have to keep the balance. Which is very interesting and makes my mind work a lot too!


Of all the books that I’ve read for work, which ones make my top-list?
I read around 100 books by year. The books that I really loved and that made an impression on me are still fresh in my memory. I will not mention the ones that are not yet published, although there are some that I adored and that definitely should make the list. I'll review them on my blog as soon as they come out. :) Here's the list!







I hope you weren't too bored by my ramblings!
And you can read Laure's answers to the same questions here!

2 comments:

  1. I really need to get myself a copy of the Compound. I keep hearing that it is amazing. It is also nice to find another fan of Cate Tiernan. I'm like her UK sale rep. I'm always telling people I love her books but I've never managed to get anyone to buy them to my knowledge.
    Great post as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! great idea this auto-interview! Can't believe you hadn't done that before interviewing me lol!!!

    :) Love the house btw...

    Much love,

    Laure

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Do share your thoughts, it's always a pleasure reading them!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...