Hello there!

I have moved!
My new blog is www.midnightcaramel.com


Happy reading, and thank you for your visit!
Charlotte.

Sunday, 13 June 2010

Book Blogging Around The World (19) : Copenhagen, Denmark


Name :
Louise
Blog : Lous_Pages
City / Country : Copenhagen, Denmark

Welcome Louise!

Tell us a little bit about you.
I am an Egyptologist, and used to work in a museum in Copenhagen in their Egyptian Dept. (The museum is called New Carlsberg Glyptotek). About a year and a half ago I stopped working at the museum and now work with editing, marketing, writing and copy writing in the tourism-business. I read many different genres such as mysteries, thrillers, contemporary fiction and YA. Due to my work I get to travel a fair bit, at least in periods, and I enjoy that a lot.

Tell us a little bit about your blog.
I began blogging in 2006, setting up two completely identical blogs, one in Danish and one in English. For a while I posted the exact same things on both of them at the same time (in different languages), but I never got around to comment on any other blogs, only a few in Danish. For a while I skipped my English blog completely, until Autumn 2008, where I had grown seriously tired with Danish book bloggers. They never replied to comments and were just plain lazy I thought. So I began blogging more in English and became more involved in the English speaking book blogging community, and have continued to blog mostly in English. I haven’t given up on my Danish blog at all, and blog there regularly, plus I’ve met a handful of fabulous Danish book bloggers who I enjoy visiting. My blog(s) consist mainly of reviews of the books I’ve read, but sometimes I participate in memes, read-a-thons and other happenings which are not review-related. I try to keep both blogs as book and literature related as possible.

Have you ever lived anywhere else in the world?
Yes. I have lived in Washington DC and in Cairo, Egypt.

What countries have you visited?
A few. :) Let’s see: Sweden, Finland, Germany, Belgium, England, Switzerland, Italy, France, Greece, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Egypt and USA.

What countries would you like to visit?
I always go back to Egypt and USA. I’ve been to Egypt close to 30 times in 15 years, and to USA 5 times (including the time I lived there), but I still feel that I am far from finished with those two places. :) I would, however, also like to go to Australia, Canada, Micronesia, Ireland and many other places. I love travelling.

According to you, what are the positive and negative aspects of being a book blogger in Denmark?
Well, I always think it is positive to talk/write about books and literature, but book blogging is not overly big in Denmark yet. There are some very good Danish book blogs out there, but there are many more food blogs, political/current events or general diary-style blogs. A negative thing is that we are so few and that we are not that good at visiting each other to get that community feeling going.

What Danish authors and books would you recommend?
The Fishermen by Hans Kirk, which is a piece of social realism written around 1930. An outstanding classic in Danish literature. There is also, of course HC Andersen’s fairy tales or the philosophical writings of Soeren Kierkegaard, but I was never a big fan of HC Andersen and I haven’t really read Kierkegaard.

How many languages do you speak?
Danish and English and a fair bit of German and a little bit of French. I understand both Swedish and Norwegian.

In which language do you read the most ?
Definitely in English.

Where do you usually buy your books?
Online.

Is getting your hands on foreign books tricky or easy (not mentioning online stores)?
It’s relatively easy. I live in Denmark’s capital city, and we have some large book stores carrying a lot of the new titles, also in English. The thing is, though, that we have a special tax in Denmark, making store bought books kinda expensive, also paperbacks.

Every country has its clichés. What cliché about Denmark do you consider disproportionate?
That all Danish girls are blond and willing.

I read that the national flag of Denmark, the Dannebrog, is the oldest country flag in the world still in use. If you could choose a new flag for your country, what would it look like ?
I can’t imagine the Danish flag looking like anything else. :)

Quick Q&A :
Favorite thing about Denmark : Long and bright summer nights and the smell of them. Absolute freedom of speech.
Least favorite thing about Denmark : That extreme right wing politics grows stronger every day. Misuse of our absolute freedom of speech. Dark winters with such short days it sometimes feels like it was never really daytime at all.Favorite typically Danish food : Fried meatballs with potatoes and gravy
Favorite place in Copenhagen : New Carlsberg Glyptotek
Favorite bookshop: Politikens Boghal
Favorite Danish author: Hans Kirk
Favorite Danish singer/band: Nephew (band)
Favorite book to read while travelling: Nothing too heavy (both weight-wise and content-wise)
Plane or train: Plane
Boat or bus: : Boat
Bike or feet: Bike
The Little Mermaid is completely overrated and also, the original story about her (written by HC Andersen) is nothing at all like the Disney version.
Nature is not that abundant in Copenhagen, but I grew up on the country side and have gotten enough nature to last a life time.

Thank you Louise! It was a pleasure having you up on the hill!
Next week we'll be traveling to England!
 
If you'd like to be featured, this post is for you.

8 comments:

  1. Great interview! It was nice to read about living in a place where I have been for a change ;)
    Lol the little Mermaid statue is sooo small!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An Egyptologist?!? I love this person already!
    And Denmark! I don't know why, but now that I'm in Japan, I've been thinking about where I want to move next, and I've been feeling like Finland, Denmark, or Norway.
    Denmark is sounding pretty awesome, now!
    I didn't know HC Anderson was Danish. I love him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi YA Vampire Books and brizmus :-) Thanks for commenting on my interview - you are welcome in Denmark anytimg ;-) And thanks to The Book on the Hill also for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was fascinating. I'm glad Louise referred us to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a lucky woman, Lou. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this interview! I have been reading Louise's blog for a long while now, so it was good to learn more about her.

    My favorite line? "That all Danish girls are blond and willing." That made me laugh out loud.

    I love Denmark and hope to get back there very, very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Louise!

    Great to learn a bit more about you.

    Well, at least we are two social bloggers from Denmark (plus a few more), but you are right: if I only blogged in Danish I would feel so lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that was so interesting. I had no idea Lou's Pages was from Denmark. I can't believe she talks and understands so many languages!

    Great feature!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Do share your thoughts, it's always a pleasure reading them!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...