Hello there!

I have moved!
My new blog is www.midnightcaramel.com


Happy reading, and thank you for your visit!
Charlotte.

Sunday, 9 May 2010

Book Blogging Around The World (14) : Yorkshire, England





Name : Boof (not my real name, obviously)
Country : Yorkshire, England

Welcome Boof !

Tell us a little bit about you.
I am in my thirties (well into them, shhhhhh!) and I live with my husband, my two cats and my hundreds of books in a 400 year old cottage. I work in corporate sales for a living but would give it all up in a heartbeat for the chance to read and review books for a living – who wouldn’t? (Oh wait.....you already do Charlotte! You lucky, lucky thing!!)

Tell us a little bit about your blog.
My blog is about books, books and more books. I read almost all genres, anything from the classics to YA, historical to chick-lit, paranormal to contemporary fiction. I also do author interviews, book chat and giveaways etc.

Have you ever lived anywhere else in the world ?
Yes, I lived in Israel for 2 years in 1993-94 where I worked as an Au Pair for 4 children under the age of 10. My days consisted of school runs, play dates and ballet lessons but my weekends were my own – I had such fun exploring the country which I fell in love with. I also lived and worked in Egypt, Cyprus and Greece for about 3 months each where I did the following: farm labourer, English teacher, chef, bar staff. Had the time of my life!

What countries have you visited ?
Are you ready for this? France (7 times), USA (7 times) Belgium, Spain, Switzerland, Italy, Czech Republic, Monoco, Greece, Norway, Iceland, Egypt, Israel, Morocco, Jordan, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Canada, Ireland, Gozo, Cyprus, Turkey, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales.

What countries would you like to visit ?
Oh man, everywhere! Of the places I haven’t been, the ones I want to go to the most are Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam, Laos, Russia.

According to you, what are the positive and negative aspects of being an English book blogger ?
The positives are that there aren’t so many of us so it’s nice to be part of a little group of passionate book lovers. The downside is that every time I see a competition for a book I really want to read it’s USA and Canada only :o(

What English authors and books would you recommend ?
Joanne Harris is a fantastic author (although most of her books are set in France, lol). I would also recommend John Fowles (author of The Magus and The Collector etc) – he died a few years ago but his books are brilliant, so many twists and turns.


How many languages do you speak ?
Well, I’m fluent in English (LOL) but I also used to speak French almost fluently but I can’t really remember that much these days. I did read Le Petit Prince in French last year but I needed a dictionary for some of it. I used to speak Spanish too (forgotten nearly all of it now) and I learnt Hebrew when I lived in Israel.

Where do you usually buy your books ?
I love nothing better than spending a few wonderful hours browsing in a bookshop (preferably one with a coffee shop attached so that I can sit and admire my purchases). I probably buy most of them in Waterstones but I do order from Amazon quite a lot too (sometimes I go a bit mad though!) and I just love independent bookshops that I randomly come across.

Is getting your hands on foreign books tricky or easy (not mentioning online stores) ?
There are often books that I hear about on blogs or on Goodreads etc that I would really like but they aren’t available in the UK. If a book has really good recommendations then I will order it from Amazon.

Every country has its clichés. What cliché about England do you consider disproportionate ?
Ooh, that’s a good question. We’re famous for our stiff upper lip but I actually think that’s true. Erm, maybe that we all speak posh like the Queen.

Yorkshire is known for being a region where The Brontë sisters have lived. Do you enjoy reading their books? Have you ever visited the landmarks linked with these authors ?
Yes! Charlotte Bronte is my favourite author ever, but it’s funny as I didn’t read any of her books until I was in my 30’s and now I don’t know what kept me from her. I also love Anne Bronte but I must confess I struggle to get through Wuthering Heights. I have been to Haworth (where the Bronte’s grew up and wrote their books) many time and I love it there. The village is so gorgeous and cute that you can totally see what inspired them. You can actually walk round their house too which I love.


Quick Q&A
Favorite thing about England : The countryside
Least favorite thing about England : The weather
Favorite typically English food : Sunday roast (beef, roast potatoes, cabbage, gravy – YUM!)
Favorite place in Yorkshire : Malham in the Yorkshire Dales – it’s breathtaking
Favorite bookshop : Shakespeare & Co in Paris and Waterstones in Leeds (it’s massive!)
Favorite English author : Charlotte Bronte (dead) and Joanne Harris (living)
Favorite English singer/band : Ooh, it would have to be something from the 80’s as that was my era – Wham! or Duran Duran maybe (god, I’m showing my age now, LOL).
Favorite book to read while travelling : Oh anything that is so engrossing that I get lost in it and forget the journey. Maybe a chicklit – they are always fun!
Plane or train : Plane
Boat or bus : Boat
Bike or feet : Feet
Castles are amazing and so full of history and intrigue
I LOVE Yorkshire Puddings.

Thank you Boof ! It was a pleasure having you up on the hill.
Next week we'll be traveling to France and Japan at the same time !

Question of the Week :
Describe the country you live in in five words !

If you'd like to be featured, this post is for you.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the interview, Charlotte! I had such fun answering your questions, even if I did get a little carried away with the "one word" answers, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely adore this feature, Charlotte. Boof, I'm digging through your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Boof!Nice to know you and I love all the answers.And of course, so jealous you've been traveling to a lot of places. even my country (Malaysia)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that you feature world bloggers. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was super fun! What a great interview - I love that she has traveled so much! I love to travel!

    I also love her music choices - fantabulous!

    Japan in 5 words - hmmmm. . .intriguing, exciting, overpopulated, refined, beautiful. I feel like I could have chosen better words, but it's early, so that's what you've got.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i heart wham and duran duran too!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Do share your thoughts, it's always a pleasure reading them!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...