Hello there!

I have moved!
My new blog is www.midnightcaramel.com


Happy reading, and thank you for your visit!
Charlotte.

Tuesday, 16 March 2010

Princess For Hire (by Lindsey Leavitt)


PRINCESS FOR HIRE
by Lindsey Leavitt
Release date : March 2010
When a flawlessly dressed woman steps out of an iridescent bubble and wants to know, like, now if you’d like to become a substitute princess, do youa) runb) faintc) say Yes!For Desi Bascomb, who’s been longing for a bit of glamour in her Idaho life, the choice is a definite C–that is, once she can stop pinching herself. As her new agent Meredith explains, Desi has a rare magical ability: when she applies the ancient Egyptian formula “Royal Rouge,” she can transform temporarily into the exact lookalike of any princess who needs her subbing services. Dream come true, right?Well, Desi soon discovers that subbing involves a lot more than wearing a tiara and waving at cameras. Like, what do you do when a bullying older sister puts you on a heinous crash diet? Or when the tribal villagers gather to watch you perform a ceremonial dance you don’t know? Or when a princess’s conflicted sweetheart shows up to break things off–and you know she would want you to change his mind?In this hilarious, winning debut, one girl’s dream of glamour transforms into something bigger: the desire to make a positive impact. And an impact Desi makes, one royal fiasco at a time. (taken from Lindsey Leavitt's website)
MY THOUGHTS : Such a fun read! This book is fun and original, and so much more than a simple princess and tiaras story...! I followed Desi's absurd and thrilling adventures with real pleasure. Desi's character is aware not only of her weaknesses but also of her strong points, and it was nice to see her evolution through these believable although surreal life changes. The situations she has to face while being a substitute princess are very funny and absolutely clich√©-free.

The Facade environment (Facade is the agency) is crazy and absurd (I love crazy, and I definitely love absurdity !) and works perfectly. It made me think of a modern version of the world of Oz, with all its excentric characters, from their weird personalities to the colors of their hair!

I was carried by this entertaining story throughout the whole book, and what is great about it is that it delivers a good message while being funny and never moralist. I really look forward to reading more about Desi, in her princess life as much as in her real life. I had so much fun!

I recommend this book to young girls as much as women. If you want to have a good and fun time, this book is for you. Girls will find everything in this book : glamour, life's obstacles and modern princess stories.

5 comments:

  1. Love the review. Can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this one right now, and it's adorable! That sketch is very fitting too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb review! This is actually the first one I've read of this book and now I'm heading over to Goodreads to add it to my wishlist. Even though I'm also out of the target group for this book =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review - makes me want to grab my copy and start reading it now, lol! Sadly that can't be done, but I'm definitely hoping to read it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why, but I SO want this author's last name to be Levitt and not Leavitt, and it kind of bothers me.
    Other than that, though, this book looks adorable!
    And I love the book sketch! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Do share your thoughts, it's always a pleasure reading them!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...