Hello there!

I have moved!
My new blog is www.midnightcaramel.com


Happy reading, and thank you for your visit!
Charlotte.

Tuesday, 23 March 2010

Pretty Bad Things (by C.J. Skuse)

PRETTY BAD THINGS
by C.J. Skuse
Release date : March 2010
Twins, Paisley and Beau Argent are in the headlines again. Last time, they were the 'wonder twins', when, as six-year-olds, they were found alive in woods after three days missing following their mother’s death – three days spent looking for their dad.Now at sixteen, life’s not so wonderful. Cast out and exploited by their money-grabbing grandmother, they’re still clueless about their dad’s whereabouts. Until they discover an old letter from him. That’s when they decide to hit the road – and make headlines again. Holding up fast-food joints in Las Vegas might seem extreme but if they can get on the news, and tell their dad they need him, they might just get the dream reunion they never thought could happen. (taken from Chicken House)
MY THOUGHTS : Although I thought this book was a little slow to start, I found myself immersed into this dramatic and both realistic and absurd adventure. The chapters alternate between Paisley and Beau, which is a technic I always enjoy (when nicely done), since it gives both dynamic and omniscience to the plot.

What I liked : The whole Tarantino aspect, with sweets replacing blood...! It gave a kind of sweet and sour feel to the story, and I loved every second of it. I loved the descriptions and atmosphere of Las Vegas and the incredible situations in which the twins put themselves into. I also liked Beau's character. I thought the whole idea and treatment were fresh and original.

What I disliked : There were too many F words for my taste. I'm not a prude and it takes more than that to shock me, but too many swear words tend to get to my nerves. I didn't really like Paisley's character, I found her annoying and her rebelliousness and ready-for-anything personality felt a bit overdone.

All in all, this book really became interesting for me and grabbed my attention when action appeared (I won't say what or how, I don't want to spoil the fun for you!). But I didn't find the first and last part exciting enough somehow. The cliffhanger didn't make me want to read the next books. But I think you shouldn't miss this one, it's definitely something else from what we're used to see in YA books, it's new and fun.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I don't like reading the f word, either. It can be way too overdone.
    Still, I'm interested if it really is all that different.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Do share your thoughts, it's always a pleasure reading them!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...