Hello there!

I have moved!
My new blog is www.midnightcaramel.com


Happy reading, and thank you for your visit!
Charlotte.

Sunday, 28 March 2010

Book Blogging Around The World (8) : The Netherlands




Name : Nina
Country : The Netherlands 

Welcome Nina !

Tell us a little bit about you.
Hi, my name is Nina and I live in Holland. I study history and my biggest dream is that one day I will teach history for high school students. I have the biggest obsession ever, and of course that is reading books and magazines…even though I haven’t bought a magazine in months.

Tell us a little bit about your blog.
I started blogging in September, 2009 and am loving it. It’s a blog where I tell you my feelings about the books that I read and let me tell you that I enjoy doing that.


             

Have you ever lived anywhere else in the world ?
Nope, never.

What countries have you visited ?
Curacao, Spain, Germany, Belgium and England.

What countries would you like to visit ?
I would love to visit the United States (New York here I come), France, Mexico, Peru, Africa, Egypt, Cuba and allot more countries. I have a whole list of countries that I would love to visit in the future.

According to you, what are the positive and negative aspects of being a book blogger in The Netherlands ?
I guess that the negative aspect of being a book blogger here in The Netherlands is that I don’t get any books for reviews from the United States or anywhere else. It’s way too expensive to send their books to this little cold country!
And of course the best part of book blogging here is that I learned so many new people around the world and even here in Holland too. I love that the book blogging community is so nice to each other and that people all around the world can connect this way.

What Dutch authors and books would you recommend ?
I would recommend for young adults Carry Slee. She writes beautiful books and they always have a message in them for teens. In my opinion her best book was ‘Afblijven’.
Also I adore Sophie van der Stap, a young writer who had to deal with cancer on a early age. I haven’t read the second book of her journey, but it’s high on my tbr list. And if you need a good laugh buy the book ‘Boos op de lucht” (Angry at the sky) written by Paul de Leeuw. He’s a television presenter who also writes books and I think he’s the most funniest guys of Holland.


How many languages do you speak ?
In total I speak 5 languages. Spanish (broken..lol..still learning), Dutch (of course), Antilleans (the language of Curacao), German and English.

Do you read more in English or in Dutch ?
The books that I buy are always in English. My father always read in English and I think I’ve inherited that from him.

Where do you usually buy your books ?
After college me and my best friend usually go into the city, Amsterdam, and buy books at the American Bookstore and sometimes at Waterstone. They already know our faces there, because we go all the time. Maybe we should stop doing that, we don’t want them to get sick of us..we don’t always buy books..I mean window-shopping is also a lot of fun..

Is getting your hands on foreign books tricky or easy (not mentioning online stores) ?
Very tricky. The books that are out now in the US or the UK are not available here in the Netherlands. We have to wait for a few months before they come here and not all of them make it into the stores. And then not mention the prices, some of the new books are way to expensive to buy for a student.

Every country has its clichés. What cliché about The Netherlands do you consider disproportionate ?
That everybody smokes wheat in Amsterdam. I think it’s funny that lots of people think that and that it’s available everywhere. Well it’s not. Amsterdam is a big city and yes you can get wheat, but not in every shop!. There are allot of students who live in the city and they don’t smoke that or any other drug to get high. I think you have to see Amsterdam for yourself, so you can see that there are allot of serious people out there and it doesn’t smell like wheat everywhere! LOL.

Do you often go to Amsterdam ? Do you like the city ?
Everyday. My college is situated there and I used to work in the city.
I can truly say that the city is one of my dearest friend.

It is said that almost every Dutch person has a bicycle. Are you a bike girl ?
Yes, I totally am! I am already in my twenties, but haven’t got my driving license. I know..bad!
I love riding on my bicycle, you feel very free on it, like you can go everywhere in the world on it. :)

                     

Quick Q&A
Favorite thing about The Netherlands : The people
Least favorite thing about The Netherlands : The cold
Favorite typically Dutch food : Boerenkool
Favorite place in The Netherlands : Amsterdam
Favorite bookshop : American bookstore
Favorite Dutch author : Carry Slee
Favorite Dutch singer/band : Trijntje Oosterhuis
Favorite book to read while travelling : Books written by either Jane Austen of Terry Pratchett
Plane or train : Train
Boat or bus : Bus
Bike or feet : Bike
I would never bike in Amsterdam.
Tulips are very colourful.


Thank you Nina ! It was a pleasure having you up on the hill.
Next week we'll be traveling to New Zealand !

Question of the Week :
The Travel Fairy gives you a ticket to visit the capital of your choice.
What city do you choose ?

If you'd like to be featured, this post is for you.

11 comments:

  1. This was wonderful I have been following Nina for ages but I had no idea that she was in her twenties. How odd! Also really interesting to hear that myth dispelled about people always being high in Amsterdam. Nina, must be so healthy with all her bicycling. Cool.

    Now, if I could visit any city I would choose St Petersburg, Russia. There is so much I don't know about Russia and Russian history. I think a trip there would be a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview :-) When I lived in Belgium we went over to the Netherlands a few times: I love Amsterdam it has such a unique athmosphere, I love the canals! I wasn't too fond of tulips until I visited the Netherlands, since then, I LOVE them :-)

    If I could make a wish of the Travel Fairy I wouldn't choose to visit a capital, but a country: my dream destination is Peru and the Macchu Pichu! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got Sophie's book about her cancer as a gift in the German language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the interview. It was very fun to answer your questions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nina :D
    I love my bike too, best way to get around really. I did see something recently from that part of the world and there were bikes everywhere.

    ..Dublin :D..wait, or Edinburgh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to visit a place where bicycles are valued as a valid form of transportation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading this! I've been following Nina's posts for ages too, and it's great to know more about her. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was awesome! I loved your answers :) and reading more about your life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you this was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I always wanted to go to the Netherlands! Especially Amsterdam. Hopefully I'll get there soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Do share your thoughts, it's always a pleasure reading them!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...