Hello there!

I have moved!
My new blog is www.midnightcaramel.com


Happy reading, and thank you for your visit!
Charlotte.

Friday, 11 December 2009

French Friday (5)



Don't forget to check out Brizmus' participation on her blog.


Bonjour tout le monde !

So, it's been a while since I've last 'French Fridayed'...!
Last time I wrote about Harry Potter's translations, so this time it's COVER TIME!
And this week the covers I'll be sharing are the ones of several books that will soon come out in France with Hachette Jeunesse, which happens to be my employer as a reader. Hadn't told you that, had I? Well, it's not a secret anymore then !

Let's start with the first two, which are two books by Dorothy Howell (I read Handbags and Homicide for review, so here is a concrete example of what my work is about : I liked it? It gets published in France! Ok, the responsability is not mine only, but anyway... Cool job, I won't say it enough!)

Back to the covers, here are the US covers versus the French ones. My verdict? I'd say I prefer the French version of Handbags and Homicide, and the US version of Purses and Poison. How about you?


Next, here is the 'most awaited' book on Hachette Jeunesse's website : 16 Lunes (coming out in january here), aka Beautiful Creatures! I'm glad they didn't translate the title litteraly, "Belles Créatures" doesn't really ring well, whereas 16 Lunes is catchy and cute. As for the covers, it's hard for me to pick a favorite, I think both of them are beautiful (creatures... Haha!). Although the more I look at it, the more I love the French one...



And last but not least, in february Hachette will release Recherche Sorcière Désesperément (meaning "Witch Desperatly Wanted"). The original title is Which Witch? (I love that title!) a book that was written by Eva Ibbotson in 1979. I love the French cover, but the old one is also fun and lovely.


The more I think about it, the more I realize that I tend to be more drawn to illustrations than photos when it comes to book covers. How about you?

10 comments:

  1. it's a draw. i like both versions for all the books you listed. i must read handbags and homicide as i luvvv bags. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all of those French covers better, I have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the French Handbags and Homicides is a MILLION times better. I'm shocked to hear myself say it, but I like ALL of the French covers better with the exception of Which Witch?

    Did I ever mention that I am SO jealous of your job?

    My French Friday is up - you see, I just need you back to motivate me, and then it happens! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya know...in all cases I think I like the French cover better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In all cases, I much prefer the French covers! They're so much prettier, imo! Love them. And I love this feature more and more with each post! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I just LOVE the French cover for Beautiful Creatures and the title. It is just so perfect for the book.

    Yay for French Friday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so neat!! I love looking at the covers from different countries, they're so different. =)

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello-wow-living the dream in Paris-good for you. Where in Canada are you from-I am a Canadian in the US-warmer but not as exciting as Paris. I love the covers of those books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Esme, and welcome to The Book on the Hill ! I've always lived in France actually, I'm French, but my dad's English & Canadian so I've got the three nationalities...! I visited Canada for the first time this summer, and looooved it. I'm planning on moving there for a little while sometime in the next few years.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Do share your thoughts, it's always a pleasure reading them!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...